Taylor Park Master Plan, St. Albans, Vermont
Taylor Park is the historic central common for the City of St. Albans which was deeded in 1799 in honor of its donor Colonel Holloway Taylor. The northern portion of the 4-acre parcel is home to “The Ladies”, an iron and zinc fountain that was first installed in 1887 and refurbished in 2015. Wagner Hodgson is working with a committee of stakeholders and City staff to envision the future of Taylor Park, a project funded by a municipal planning grant from the VT Agency of Commerce and Community Development.
A year-long process has yielded a list of improvements and additions to the park that include upgraded connectivity and walkways, an interactive children’s fountain, new lighting, a performance space, a park overlook, improved storm water facilities and infrastructure, a multitude of seating options, increased garden space and a new entry and streetscape along Main Street. Church Street which forms the eastern border of the Park is being reimagined as shared space for festivals and events. In addition, the historical buildings which includes the Court House, History Museum and various churches are being connected to the Park by walkways and direct staircases into the Park. The facades of these buildings will be lit to visually express their importance to the context of this Park & the City in general.